Wow – wow and wow again – just LOVE great animal photography! I can never seem to capture the moment, I’m always too busy enjoying the breathtaking scenery or chatting with the locals..!
Well here the Zoological Society of London, an international scientific, conservation and educational charity whose mission is to promote and achieve the worldwide conservation of animals and their habitats, announces the winners of its 2016 photography prize.
With six thought-provoking categories including “Catch Me if You Can” and “At Home in the Habitat”, the charity’s competition aims to inspire wonder in the animal kingdom.
Attracting nearly 3,000 entries from around the world, the winners were selected by a panel of expert judges including ZSL Honorary Conservation Fellow and television presenter Kate Humble, best-selling author, explorer and photographer Levison Wood, and renowned ornithologist Bill Oddie.
The overall winner was Pratik Pradhan with his stunning image of a fan-throated lizard chosen as winner in the “Weird and Wonderful” category, which then went on to beat fierce competition and take home the coveted Judges’ Choice award.
Having spent years waiting to get his perfect shot in the Chalkewadi plateau in India, Mr Pradhan said: “I observed this male who repeatedly took the same path while scanning his territory and checking out all of the females.
“It was not easy to maintain a sharp focus on the lizard running towards me while keeping it at eye level – it took me three years to capture this image the way I wanted.
“They have a thin flap of skin called a gular appendage, between their throat and their abdomen, which they can flap and flash at will – normally these are whitish or creamish in colour, but what’s interesting is that during the breeding season the males develop a wonderful coloration ranging from blue to black to red and orange.”
Enjoy these glorious images. 😀
- Ready-set-GO – Pratik Pradhan, Weird and Wonderful Winner and Judges’ Choice
- In-flight fight – Alicia Haydon, Catch Me If You Can Junior Winner and Judges’ Choice Junior Winner
- Kingpin – Mike Reyfman, Weird and Wonderful Runner Up
- Baby baboon – Oskan-Ozmen, Urban City Life Highly Commended
- Emerging – Gideon Knight, Deep and Meaningful Junior Winner
- Catching the Sun – Jeremy Cusack, Deep and Meaningful Highly Commended
- Strategies for Drinking – Carlos Perez Naval, Urban City Life Junior Winner